4/22/09

Q&A.

Wow! When I ask for feedback y'all certainly do give it. Thanks so much for your ideas regarding my spring/summer menu; if you have any more you can still comment here.

Over the last few months I've had enough questions from folks that I thought it might be fun to start featuring a "
Q&A" segment on the ol' blog. So if you have any questions about recipes, ingredients, technique or pairings, feel free to submit them here and I'll do my best to help explain them for you.

I'm going to start out with the first question I received a while back, from my good friend
Gloria. Gloria is a budding home cook and has enjoyed trying lots of new recipes on her grateful family. She also introduced me to Kendra, and for that I will forever be grateful.

Upon reading a menu I'd posted for a special event which included a side dish of Green Beans in Hazelnut Brown Butter, Gloria asks:

"What is brown butter?"

Simply put, Gloria, brown butter is butter that you brown. Also known as beurre noisette, it's important to be careful when making brown butter because brown does not equal burnt. There's a good tutorial that can be found here.

Why bother? Because brown butter has a nutty, complex flavor that can bring a whole new dimension to a dish. It can help draw out or complement other flavors in the ingredients that might otherwise go unnoticed. Want some recipes to give it a whirl? Start here and whip up a batch of
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Hazelnut Brown Butter.

Other uses for brown butter range from tossing it into a bowl of spaghetti or pairing it with sage and orecchiette to incorporating it in a batter for a to-die-for cake or cookies. You can use it with any variety of vegetables, such as cauliflower, zucchini or asparagus, or brush it on seafood - especially scallops, shrimp or any kind of white fish.

Uh...Gloria? You still with me?

(I think she went running for the kitchen, kids.)


If you have any questions of your own I hope you'll leave them in the comments section, and I'll do my best to answer them with some corresponding recipes you can try. Until next time. . .bon appétit!

2 comments:

kelly said...

I checked out the site from Kendra and I have been using my wooden cutting board wrong BUT cleaning it right. I love your blog!

GMS said...

Mmmmmm...brown butter is delicious with mushrooms. I made the Spinach Salad with Bacon, Mushrooms, and Warm Shallot Vinaigrette that you mentioned from Colleen's site and it was wonderful. I had to sample a few of those brown butter mushrooms before they hit the salad plates.